Importance of the Topic:
Money doesn’t grow on trees, so it is very important to make wise money decisions. Too often we rush into making a purchase, only to regret it later. Never be pressured by salespeople or peers to make a purchase. You need to feel ready and confident that you have made the right choice. Think about what trade-offs you are making with any money decision. What are you giving up now, or in the future, by making that decision to buy today? Take your time and stay in control of your spending.
Desired Outcome, Knowledge, or Skill:
- Learn to take time before making spending decisions.
- Be aware of the pressures around you to spend your money.
- Avoid buyer’s remorse by comparison shopping before buying so you know that you are getting a good price.
- Budget your money so you know where your money is going.
- Learn to ask about return policies in case you change your mind.
- Look at several cell phone plans (or other service) to see which one meets your needs and has the best price.
- Think about something that you need to buy soon, and compare prices in stores and on-line.
- Make a list of what you need, or want to buy; wait a while and go back and see if some things can be deleted.
- Start using a budget tracker to see where your money is going.